Sunday, March 18, 2012

JEALOUSY (Heheheh, we meet again...)

On Turning Ten by Billy Collins
Click HERE to read the best poem ever

I bet a Jap-load of people are gonna' choose On Turning Ten as the poem they are jealous of, but that's okay. I'm not going to choose another poem that I'm NOT as jealous of just because less people are going to choose it, or in other words, I'm not going to be a hipster/indie douche.

On that note, let's get right into it. On Turning Ten by Billy Collins. Where do I begin? Where do you begin with a poem like this? Should it even be considered a poem, or rather a religion? Because this poem is my life, rather than the blood of Christ or the Book of Mormon. This thing just hits me hard, and it doesn't let me get back up.

"You tell me it is too early to be looking back," Are you freaking kidding me? I feel like that line is a summary of my life. No one has told me personally that I'm too young to be looking back, but I'm still guilty of it. At fifteen I was looking back on how fun and rebelious I was at thirteen. At seventeen I thought to myself how good and carefree life was at fifteen. I am now eighteen and I find myself all too often going "Agh, why is life so complicated?", but little do I know that in four years I'll be in a reflective sort of mood and think to myself, "Man, what I wouldn't give to be eighteen again."

There are a billion reasons why this poem makes me jealous, but it really comes down to two specific reasons. One- the writing. Billy Collins is just unparalleled. He's the Spielberg or Scorcese of poem writing. I dream of the day when I can be HALF as good a writer as he is. Two- the meaning. I don't know if I'm so much jealous of the protaganist of this poem as I am familiar with him. I feel as if Billy Collins is writing about me. So I guess I'm jealous of myself? I dunno'. I feel like I'm rambling. I probably lost a lot of readers at the "hipster/indie douche" part, because there are so many of them at Lone Peak. Anyways, to those of you who read the whole thing, you get a figurative pat on the back. Ooo, nice muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment